What’s all the BUZZ about BBL?
What is Forever Young BBL™?
It is a skin rejuvenation treatment using a type of Intense Pulsed light or IPL called BBL which stands for broad band light. While similar to a laser, broad band light is multiple wavelengths of light instead of just one, allowing different conditions to be treated at the same time. This type of treatment is commonly referred to as a FotoFacial and the device used is an IPL or BBL.
So what is new and why all of the buzz about BBL instead of plain old IPL?
For many years it has been established that a Fotofacial using an IPL in a series can help eradicate sun damage, age spots, and red veins. The Forever Young BBL™ treatment is a unique protocol developed by Dr. Patrick Bitter in a study out of Stanford University, using the BBL to send light energy deep into the skin with possible age defying benefits. Studies have shown that regular skin maintenance using the Forever Young BBL™ protocol can show the added benefit of delaying future skin aging as well as rejuvenating the skin with each treatment. Such signs of skin aging include skin laxity, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone and rough texture. According to the study, “The treatment may help to boost your body’s own natural rejuvenation processes, leading to visibly younger looking, year after year.”(1) In aesthetics our main goal is to correct the visible signs of aging as they appear, and maintain the results as much as possible. However, the idea of slowing down the aging process can be just as desirable.
Can the Forever Young BBL be used for darker skin types?
The Fotofacial using an IPL has been relatively contraindicated in darker skin types due the risk of burns and hyperpigmentation. However, the Forever Young BBL™ protocol can be adjusted for skin types IV and even V to help delay the signs of aging. This revolutionary procedure can now possibly benefit even more people of color.
How often are treatments done and is there downtime?
Optimal results for maintaining healthy skin and delaying skin aging require four full treatments each year, timed on a quarterly basis. Minimal to no down time is the average patient’s experience. Slight swelling and redness is possible, but resolves in a few days, and make-up can be worn in 24 hours.
Who are good candidates for the Forever Young BBL™?
- Younger patients who do not yet need correction of damaged skin, but desire to maintain healthy skin and delay skin aging;
- Patients who have had damaged skin previously corrected by BBL or laser treatments;
- More mature patients who have better quality or healthier- appearing skin and may not yet require corrective treatments;
- Patients who have previously undergone a facelift or other cosmetic procedures;
- Skin type IV and V patients who generally have healthier skin with little to no photo-damage, yet desire to maintain healthy skin and delay skin aging.
- Chang A, Bitter PH, et al., Rejuvenation of Gene Expression Pattern of Aged Human Skin by Broadband Light Treatment: A Pilot Study. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2013, 133, 394-402
- Bitter, P, Pozner, J., Retrospective Evaluation of the Long-term Antiaging Effects of Broadband Light Therapy. Cosmetic Dermatology, February 2013, 34-40